I got challenged to a quiz, while chatting on the CDC Facebook page today. I thought I would share. I answered from the top of my head. Did I do okay? Feel free to share this post if you ever get challenged to this quiz.
Note: I answered these questions as part of a challenge on Facebook. I was pretty proud that I answered them all in about five minutes. I appreciate all the clarifying comments. I am aware of all those details, but did not post them in the FB thread because I was trying to be super brief. But thanks!
1. Name 5 vaccine ingredients – aluminum salts, neomycin, various cells, polysorbate 80, albumin,
2. What is MRC-5? Cells from an fetus legally aborted 50+years ago on which some viruses are cultured.
3. What is WI-38? same as #2
4. What is vaccine court? Colloquial term for USCFC wherein people can file a claim of vaccine injury.
5. What is the national vaccine injury compensation program? VICP is the same as vaccine court
6. What is the 1986 national vaccine injury act? Federal act, co-written by founders of NVIC, with a great many safety laws and guidelines for informed consent, etc, also specifies how and when you can file a claim for vaccine injury and mandates high safety standards for vaccine production and distribution.
7. How has the CDC schedule changed since 1986? As science has developed more vaccines to prevent serious diseases, they have been added to schedule. Examples are rotavirus, PCV13, HIB.
8. How much money has been paid out by vaccine injury court? A bit more than $3 billion for claims and attorney fees. Compared to 5 billion doses given in 30 years, injury rate is 0.000011%.
9. How many doses of how many vaccines are in the CDC schedule between birth and age 18? Off the top of my head, we protect against 14-16 diseases.
10. Do vaccine contain DNA from aborted fetal cell lines? No. When viruses are grown on any cells, they are removed from those cells and purified before use in vaccines.
If so, which vaccines? None.
11. Do any vaccines contain dog, Monkey, Pig, and human DNA? No, see #10.
12. What is an adjuvant? Something that stimulates immune response to vaccine works better.
13. What is an antigen? The disease components in the vaccines.
14. Which arm of the immune system do vaccines stimulate? adaptive
15. Which arms of the immune system do natural diseases stimulate? innate
16. What is transverse myelitis? Inflammation of the spinal cord, often caused by natural infection
17. What is encephalopathy? Brain swelling, often caused by natural infection
18. What is the rate of autism in 2017, what was it in 2000? What was it in 1980? Autism rate today is 1.5%.
19. What is glyphosate and is it in vaccines? It is a pesticide and not in any vaccines.
20. If your child is injured, who will take physical, emotional and financial responsibility? Same person who takes responsibility if your child is injured by a disease – you. You could file a claim in federal court, if you meet the time table.
21. What was the Supreme Courts statement on vaccines in 2011? Bruesewitz v Wyeth is too long to summarize herein.
22. Can you provide a study showing vaccinated vs unvaccinated health outcomes? Yes, many. One is called KIGGS. Google it.
23. Can you show me a safety study proving it is safe to inject multiple vaccines? Yes, Dr Offit authored one for the journal Pediatrics. Google it.
24. What is shedding? Something antivaxers fear irrationally but, in reality, is mostly myth. There are no outbreaks caused by vaccines shedding.
25. Do vaccines shed? Which vaccines can shed for up to 6 weeks? Some live vaccines can shed, such as measles in urine, rotavirus in feces, chicken pox in pox, but there are no outbreaks connected with these vaccines. There are only a couple of cases of children shedding to siblings when proper hygiene protocol was not followed.
26. Which vaccines are live virus vaccines? MMR, oral polio (which we do not use in USA), smallpox ( which is only for military), rotavirus, and the nasal flu mist (which we don’t use in USA )
27. What is the VICP? You already asked this question. See #s 4-6
28. What is SV 40? It was a virus that was found in one of the early live polio vaccines. It was killed when it went thru the digestive system and never caused any health concerns in humans.
29. What is MTHFR and how is it affected by vaccines. A gene we all carry. It can have mutations, which antivaxers worry about, but all you need to do is take extra folate and you will be fine. It is not a valid reason to avoid vaccines, despite what naturopaths and health nuts think.
30. What is an acceptable amount of aluminum to be me ingested per day and what is the aluminum content of the Hep B shot given at birth? The ingested limit for intravenous feeding solutions that have aluminum in them is 25 mcg. That has nothing whatsoever to do with vaccines. FDA has approved vaccines as safe.
31. Can someone who was vaccinated for pertussis still spread pertussis after being exposed to it? If so for how long? Vaccinated baboons, when exposed to wild pertussis, were shown to colonize the pertussis in their throats for weeks but they were asymptomatic and thus not spreading the disease. Therefore, vaccinating are not spreading pertussis unless they get pertussis and have symptoms, which is unlikely.
32. What is the death from measles in the past 10 years in the US? From the MMR vaccine? According to CDC Wonder database, there have been 49 deaths from measles in the USA in the last ten years and zero from MMR.
Well, that was fun.
Happy weekend everyone!